Friday 23 March 2018

SPELLBOUND IN SIKKIM||TRAVEL BLOG (PART-1)

As I have always mentioned in my blogs that I am a crazy traveler. Each and every bit of my journey gives me immense happiness. I guess you guys have already read my two travel blogs of Varanasi and Digha. In case you haven't read here are the links
https://littlehapinez.blogspot.in/2017/05/travel-blog-digha.html
https://littlehapinez.blogspot.in/2017/07/varanasi-diarytravel-blog-part-1.html

First one is the link of Digha travel blog
Second one is the link of Varanasi travel blog part 1.

Now let's begin the journey of Sikkim...

DARJEELING MAIL 

DEPARTURE TIME : 10.05 PM (SDAH)
EXPECTED ARRIVAL TIME: 8 AM  (NJP)
TRAIN NO: 12343
PLATFORM NO: 9B
TICKET FARE (AC 3 TIER): 920 INR
Darjeeling Mail is not only just a train for me. It is a dream for me. I always wanted to board on this train. From the day we started planning for the trip I knew clearly on my mind that Darjeeling Mail would be one of my companion throughout my journey. We booked AC 3 tier tickets in November. 
Our journey began on 23rd February, 2018. The departure time of our train was 10.05 pm. We left our house at around 7.45 pm. We hired an uber and reached Sealdah at around 9 pm. At 9.20 pm our train was ready on the platform. Our coach number was B2. So finally my dream train was in front of me. I was so happy that I almost forgot about my entire trip. What I only wanted to enjoy at that time was my journey by DARJEELING MAIL. On 10.10 pm I heard my companion i.e my dream train blew his horn to let me know that he was ready to start. Just like any other AC coach there was also a fresh towel, a bed sheet, one pillow and a quilt present on each seat. Though It was only on my mind but I loved to think that my dream train had arranged everything to make me comfortable. I never felt so excited. I sat comfortably on my side lower seat and started to gulp all the things going on in and outside of the train. It was my husband who broke my reverie and told me to serve our dinner which my mother cooked for us. Our dinner was so simple yet so delicious. We ate rumali roti and chicken. We also bought some cakes, biscuits and mineral water bottles.  After finishing our dinner when everyone was preparing to sleep I thought that I should definitely stay awake for my Darjeeling Mail. My mind was determined though my eyes weren't supporting my decision. I fought hardly with my eyes and I forced my eyes to see a beautiful sky which was full of stars. But just after crossing Burdwan I had to surrender on the lap of my seat. I didn't know how much time I was asleep but when I woke up my train halted to take some rest at Malda. It was 5 am. I came down from my side upper seat to lower one which was acquired by my husband. I needed to put some fuel to my body so that it functioned properly. We had "CHAI". Right after our tea break my companion Darjeeling Mail also charged up. I guess it also recharged itself. It started its engine and I felt sad deep inside. As I knew my journey by Darjeeling Mail would slowly come to an end. Only one station was left which was Kishangunj then we would reach to NJP. With a heavy heart I was waiting for NJP but at the same time one thought pop out quickly that it was not the end of my journey. It was only the first chapter of the whole tour. We reached NJP at 10.30 am. I bid good bye to Darjeeling Mail. When we stepped down from train we had no clue from where we should start. We only knew that we had to reach Gangtok where we booked our hotel Tarika.

NEW JALPAGURI

 On the platform of NJP I felt like we were some lost children as the tourist guides and drivers asking us so many questions. They were behaving like they all were ready to take us home safely. We decided to have breakfast then we worked out our next step. When we were having toast and omelet a gentleman came to us. He offered that he would take us to Gangtok in exchange for 150 rupees per person. He also recommended to visit his office. After having breakfast we went to his office which was just in the opposite side of the road. They suggested us to conduct our whole trip. At the beginning of our journey we wanted to visit North Sikkim so our tour conductor planned the tour accordingly. But always remember one thing you should always bargain with them. Otherwise they charged a lot. You should break down each and every part of their calculation. However, after loads of bargaining we finally came to an end of discussion. We started our journey to Gangtok at 12 pm.

FARE OF TAXI: 150/- INR (NJP TO Gangtok, Deorali Taxi Stand)
TOTAL TOUR OF NORTH SIKKIM (Lachen and Lachung) : 3000/- INR (including transport, lodge and 3 meals) 

NJP TO GANGTOK

It took 4 hours to reach Gangtok. The roads were so clean and green. After few kilometers Teesta came to greet us. She was flowing in its own rhythm and guiding us through out our total trip. Our driver halted for lunch at Melli. We ordered one plate of momo. We reached Deorali Taxi Stand at 4pm. As I have already mentioned earlier that we have booked Hotel Tarika which is also situated at Deorali Taxi Stand.

ONE PLATE MOMO: 100/- INR (10 PCS)

HOTEL TARIKA  

I was so disappointed. The rooms were decent and clean but the geyser wasn't working properly. The manager of the hotel promised to give us a front view room. Yes, he gave us a room which has a window but I hardly could see anything other than a building. Our Sikkim tour guide Tapu came to meet us in hotel. Special permit is required for North Sikkim and Nathula. So he collected xeroxes of our photo id and color photos. After that we booked a taxi from Deorali  stand to MG Road. The manager of the hotel told us that it took 7 minutes to reach MG Marg so we were disappointed again. It took 10 minutes by car. If someone wish to walk then the it will take 32 minutes.

HOTEL FARE: 800/- INR (NOT WORTHY)
TAXI FARE: 60/- INR (RS. 20 PER PERSON)

MG MARG 

CHICKEN MANCHURIAN
FRIED RICE
MG Marg is the center of attraction in Gangtok. Its a great place for shopping. Of course its a heaven for foodie people just like me. We badly need hot cups of tea to activate our mind and body. We went to a small shop where we ordered special tea. Then outside of the shop some vendors were selling veg momo. Those momos were very small in size and there was hardly any stuffing. This kind of momo or dumpling you can only find on the roads of MG Marg. As it was Saturday almost every shops were closed. We shopped a little and then we went to a restaurant near taxi stand. We ordered two plates of fried rice, one wings on fire and one chicken manchurian. It was altogether a very happy meal for us. 
WINGS ON FIRE
 SPECIAL TEA: 20/- INR (ONE CUP)
 VEG MOMO: 20/-  INR (10 PCS)
  DINNER: 950/- INR
 TAXI FARE FROM MG MARG TO HOTEL TARIKA: 80/- INR (20/- PER PERSON)





As soon as we reached hotel we started packing our luggage. At 11.30 am in the morning we would leave for Lachen.

NECESSARY ITEMS TO BE TAKEN WHILE TRAVELING IN SIKKIM
1. PHOTO ID
2. XEROX OF PHOTO ID (MINIMUM 10 COPIES)
3.COLOR PHOTO (6 COPIES)
4. NECESSARY MEDICINES

GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE....
SEE YOU IN THE NEXT PART.....
WITH LOVE
** THIS IS NOT A PAID PROMOTION






     




   

4 comments:

  1. Very informative and descriptive. Provides a detailed description of the journey and a broad idea for future travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot :D
    hopefully you'll enjoy next part too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. খুব সুন্দর হয়েছে লেখাটা !!

    ReplyDelete

A Thankless Job

  Happy National Flower Day! On March 21st, we celebrate National Flower Day to evoke the beautiful season of Spring. Spring is the season o...